Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Historic day--or night?

Yesterday, I was applying some more changes to my thesis so that I could send it out to everyone and to schedule a defense. It had to be sent out that night. I started at 5 p.m. after my mentor had given me some more instructions. I saved it throughout on my flash drive. In the middle of it I thought it would be safe to save it on the internal BYU drive as well, just to be safe. I saved two or three times and at 8:45 p.m., after having done the last major change, the computer crashed while I saved my work and I lost all the work of the last three hours. My thesis by now is 321 pages long (including the bibliography) and the work I would have to reconstruct concerned editing and adding selected parts throughout all those pages. The interesting part is that I did not cry, nor was I mad. But somehow I felt strength from somewhere, which had accompanied me throughout the day. Then there was this angelic computer lab attendant. He said I should get some dinner, come back in half an hour, and he would let me stay in the lab to rewrite everything (the lab closed in 15 minutes). That usually is not allowed. He said he could just work on a couple of things he wanted to get to for a long time until I was done. When I came back there were two other girls working on computers who had a project due the next morning. I am not good with overnighters and was not sure I was going to make it, but I did. It was helpful to have company. I sent my thesis off at 1:55 a.m. and left the lab at 2 a.m. I went to bed at 3 a.m. after talking to my roomate whose mother was just hospitalized for cancer.

I am still working on those videos I want to share. They have to be compressed so I can upload them. Meanwhile I found another picture or two I liked. I hope no one is getting tired of all the pictures of me yet. Dancing was a big part of my life. Like breathing air.

2 comments:

Diplom-Betriebswirt(FH) said...

Nun, ich hoffe du musst deine Thesen nicht zu nachtschlafender Zeit verteidigen.
Es ist halt immer ein Kreuz, wenn mann beim Überarbeiten von wichtigen Veröffentlichungen nicht häufig und regelmäßig eine Datensicherung macht.

Aber einen gebrannten Wiesenkind erzähle ich ja nichts Neues.

Ist mir zwar nicht bei der Diplomarbeit passiert, aber eine Hausarbeit im vierten Semester hat auch mal eine Nachtschicht verlangt, da die Textverarbeitung damals bei mir einfach der Meinung war, alle Querverweise zufällig neu zu verteilen. :-)

Deine Idee, auch auf Deutsch zu schreiben, will ich mit meinem Beitrag einfach unterstützen.

Wiesenkind said...

Hey, everybody-- this was one of my cousins, from Germany! Don't I have a cool family?!!!

Gebrannt ja, aber ich bin unschuldig--was auch alles besser vertragbar macht. Ich habe immer gespeichert, aber wusste nicht dass es nie gespeichert wure wegen einer internal server corruption.

Diese Webpage wird wohl auch viel "Denglish" beinhalten