earthCries is a more serious piece I choreographed in Salzburg, Austria in 1997 and restaged at Brigham Young University, Utah in 2000 with an ORCA grant for creative works. It went to the National College Dance Festival but unfortunately did not win anything--not to say that it would have won, but they could not get the lighting technology to work and that is a big part of this piece. I cut this video together from both, the Salzburg and the Utah performance.
earthCries is a neoclassic/contemporary piece about the last surviving creature of planet earth. The thought behind this piece was about where our planet and us would go if we don't take care of each other and some of the problems humans create for themselves. Nothing is left but shadows or memories of the past, a handful of dirt, and one creature that remains to tell about it. The earthling represents a mixture or remains of several different life forms (e.g. its movement has different human and animal characteristics).
Music is by Jean Michelle Jarre, a modern French composer who has given open-air concerts, which are called "Klangglocke" in German: A Klangglocke-concert is a concert consisting of several smaller concerts simultaneously happening in several different parts of one big city (like Berin or New York) so that the music forms sort of a hall over the whole city. Jarre, among other things, uses laser lights to create some of his tones.
Monday, January 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Manja dear,
I am intrigued by the descriptions of your pieces (earthCries and friedensglocke), but I can't seem to view them. I'm told they're "loading," but nothing happens. I have the worst luck with attachments, videos, etc. Maybe it's just me.
Anyway, both of my kids are napping--at the same time! Unheard of! So I thought I'd catch up on your blog. I'll try to view the videos again later.
Fauneil
Oh no! Thanks for letting me know, Fauneil. I'll look into it.
Post a Comment