Tuesday, April 22, 2008

President Hinckley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaSxTGAQEuE

Pres. Hinckley died Jan 27, 2008. It was the first Prophet and President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints I felt I grew with, because he was around for so long. I also had the special opportunity of meeting him in person once in SLC at his grandson's wedding. There was no doubt in my mind that this was a man who walked and talked with God. There was no doubt that this man lived a good and disciplined and selfless life, but beyond that I could feel that he was clothed with a special power. Although very humble and without much ado about his appearance, Pres Hinckley radiated an energy that was greater than himself. The ground under my feet around him felt holy. There were two things that I could almost say, to describe the sensation when meeting him, "burned" themselves into my heart that day (and I am not a very emotional person): This man keeps nothing to himself, he gives his all for us. He keeps nothing back, he is all ours. The strength that upheld him well beyond his years made that possible and kept him going. The second thing I felt strongly in his presence was pure love. He had so much love for everyone and this is how the love of God must feel all the time. We just are removing ourselves from it too often. How would you shake a prophet's hand? Self-confident, firm? Well. I did, looking him in the eye. Can you imagine how I felt later when I learned in class Sunday, incidentally the next day, that he has very bad arthritis in his hands and that every time he shook a hand it must terribly hurt him....

Pres. Hinckley died at age 97. What I will remember most from him is "we can do better, each day a little better!" and to read the Book of Mormon more thoroughly by the experience I had as he asked us all to read it together. The scriptures do bring an increase of peace and the Lord's spirit and strength in our homes. He loved his wife very much. How much comfort in his loss it must have given him to know that he was going to see her again. They are together now!

Read more about this wonderful man at:
http://www.gordonbhinckley.org/

Pres Hinckley at General Conference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnX66fN91-0


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noDM2zmNy2c (a final testimony in the British Isles where Pres Hinckley served a mission as a young man).

Dito! A touching tribute by Glenn Beck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjrDs_DaocA

Watch the funeral service:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCef9Xr3F9c

No comments: